Discovering the huge potential for improving the efficiency & quality of lighting that Light Emitting Diodes (LED's) offer right now! at least on a par with HQI, providing in excess of 100 lumens per watt of power input!

Friday 11 May 2007

My Requirements Re. Touring bicycle Electrical System

Yeovil



For the purposes of touring perhaps for extended periods of perhaps a month or so, I need an electrical system which is self powered ie. Powered by human power when required or downhill motion preferably!
Obviously I needed some kind of reliable quality prime power source or generator, this I obtained in the form of a Shimano dynamo hub, it came complete with front and rear lights and was purchased from eBay second-hand.
This electrical system has to provide me with, charging facilities for satellite navigation via my mobile phone Nokia N70, and the satellite receiver; also to provide me with charging facilities for MP3 gear and various small batteries for lighting etc.
In addition to charging up my power storage facility, I also need a well above average lighting system to enable me to cycle through the night when necessary or desirable; by well above average I mean that I need bright lighting not just a glowworm on the front of the bike, my investigations on the Internet of late has brought me to the conclusion that LED lighting is the way to go.
During my investigations of the real heavy bright lights available, I was firstly drawn toward Luxion LEDs K2's etc. but then was suddenly drawn toward a relatively new addition to the scene, the Seoul p 4 LED and especially "u bin" specification where the expected output in lumens is 100 lumens for input current of 350 milliamps! This is quite extraordinary and a lot of output power for input wattage.
I studied the forums as regards homebrewed lighting for bikes, and found them very useful because others had trod the ground before me, and I needed to know the common mistakes and useful tips.
In the following posts I will include some of my forum insertions.

No comments: